Why do I need duct or vent cleaning?
There are a lot of reasons for duct or vent cleaning. Your ducts are an interior part of your home and need occasional services like vent cleaning, just like all aspects of your home. There are more detailed considerations which could influence your decision to get vent cleaning, summarized here in three categories:
- HVAC Efficiency and Longevity: Dust and debris in ducts can build up inches thick! This effectively shrinks the passageway for the circulation of hot or cold air — which is why you have a heating and air-conditioning system. Duct and vent cleaning allow for open passageways, leading to greater efficiency and lower energy bills. Also, dirt and dust are the main culprits in HVAC maintenance issues, and it is logical to abate these equipment hazards through vent cleaning.
Put simply, any mechanical system works better when it is clean. Duct and vent cleaning is a quick and cost-effective way to help your heating and cooling system work better and last longer.
- Healthier Breathing: The vent cleaning service provided by American Duct Cleaning can remove dangerous air particles such as mold, fungus, bacteria, dander, smoke particles, pollen and very fine dust. Healthy people in modern society must withstand small amounts of these inhalants every day, but obviously, nobody should be breathing these contaminants in any substantial quantity for the 60 to 90% of time spent indoors. Homeowners should be especially careful to maintain the best air quality for seniors, children and those with asthma, allergies or other respiratory problems; duct and vent cleaning will help with this.
According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, about 50% of illnesses are either caused or aggravated by poor indoor air quality which could be fixed with vent cleaning. Some 12 million Americans suffer from asthma, and more than 50 million from allergies. The level of some hazardous pollutants in indoor air has been found to be up to 70 times greater than in outdoor air. Vent cleaning will reduce this number.
Here in the Midwest, homes are closed up tight much of the year as we endure periods of heat and cold. We live in a region where occasional duct and vent cleaning makes sense, because we’re breathing recycled air.
- Cleanliness of Home Interior: Another benefit of duct and vent cleaning is the potential for less dust on your furniture. Because there is less dust in your home, you will likely see less dust on surfaces, and consequently you will have to dust and clean less often.
What would tell me it’s time have my ducts cleaned?
The most pressing signs of the need for duct and vent cleaning would be any perception that the heating or air conditioning is not working well (especially in one part of the house), or the presence of mold (musty smell) or vermin. But aside from these more distressing indicators, you may consider duct and vent cleaning in response to any of these factors: pets, smoking (even from the former residents), new construction, renovation, nearby development, proximity to busy roadways or farms, new carpet, recent extermination or extreme pollen in the area.
Other signs that your home needs vent cleaning could include:
- Sore eyes while indoors, headaches, flu-like symptoms and fatigue may be indicators of needing vent cleaning.
- Furballs, dust bunnies or excessive dust on furniture may tell you duct and vent cleaning is in order.
- Discolored or just plain dirty registers are a telltale of the need for duct and vent cleaning.
- Homeowners who are putting their house on the market often decide on duct and vent cleaning to demonstrate livability to potential buyers. Similarly, many builders call for duct and vent cleaning immediately after a new home is complete.
- New additions to the family, or seniors in the home or those with respiratory problems might prompt homeowners to think about duct and vent cleaning.
When you contact us for vent cleaning services, we will perform a visual inspection of your ducts and provide photo evidence of any problems that could be eradicated with vent cleaning. Should you decide to have the vent cleaning done, we will deduct the inspection fee from your total cost.
There are other duct and vent cleaning services in the area, and I think some may be cheaper. Why should I choose American?
We believe the most important distinction of American Duct Cleaning is the absolute and evident quality we invest into each vent cleaning job, as well as the thorough explanation we provide of the work. With sheet metal and air conditioning background we bring more expertise to the duct and vent cleaning field than an outfit starting from scratch. And, our focus is on duct and vent cleaning first (though we do consult and provide related services), while most companies offer it as a secondary product.
Our prices are competitive but our service is without parallel. When we offer vent cleaning, you know your ducts are clean and that you paid a fair price.
I’ve heard of “blow and go” duct cleaners. How can I be sure you have done a good job?
Foremost, because we take our professional reputation very seriously and you will sense in dealing with us our commitment to doing vent cleaning right and earning your satisfaction. We will gladly provide references and training certificates, and are in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. Then, the time we spend and vent cleaning equipment we bring to the task will provide reassurance of a job done thoroughly, as will your visual inspection before and after and the report we provide of our completed service. We’ve seen the vent cleaning operations that make a lot of noise for an hour or so, but don’t attack each vent, return and trunk line completely like we do. We’re not them.
How long will your process take?
It is hard to provide an exact estimate without speaking to you, but in general our vent cleaning services last a few hours. The size of your house, number of vents and the state of the debris all could affect the time needed for vent cleaning. We will meet your schedule, and can start early or later, and are currently working Saturdays. We have been very busy with our vent cleaning bookings lately but will make every effort to get to your ducts promptly.
Will my house initially be full of dust?
Immediately after the vent cleaning, you may have slightly more dust in the air. The same thing happens when you give your house a vigorous cleaning. While our very powerful vacuum equipment removes almost all the dust and particles out of your home entirely, the nature of vent cleaning can stir up some interior dust. But after this settles and you complete normal cleanings, you should notice less dust.
What do I need to do to prepare my home for duct and vent cleaning?
Duct and vent cleaning will not be a big task for you — we do the work. Logically, we need access to all the vents (supply and return), as well as the main HVAC unit (furnace), often in the basement. Many homeowners prefer to be around during vent cleaning, but it is noisy. We are bonded and trustworthy should you care to vacate. We do recommend that those with severe respiratory conditions remove themselves during vent cleaning. You may wish to remove pets, but it is not necessary.
Call American Duct Cleaning today at (816) 537-0318 or (913) 681-9032 for all of your duct and vent cleaning needs!